Sunday 17 March 2013

Buddhism for Beginners- An Introduction

Yesterday I started reading a book called 'Buddhism for Beginners'.




It is written by this lovely lady, the venerable Thubten Chodron.




I am only 2 pages into the book and have already received a lot of information, so I decided, in keeping true to the title of this blog, to simplify what I learnt from the book about what the basic essence of what Buddhism is. My motive for even beginning to read this book was that I am on a quest to finding a way of living a simpler, less complicated life. Why complicate something that can be so simple and easy?

I can just imagine the sarcastic laugh you're probably having right about now. After all, people have always been looking for that simple way to be and often we've been told that looking for the easy way out is never the answer. However, I really DO want a simple life. I feel like I don't really need much to be happy. As long as I have a roof over my head, enough food to eat (not that I eat a lot of it, but that's another story that we can get to another day) and clothes to wear, what else do I want? Of course there's a car needed to get around, maybe some other little things for the house, and some extra money for trips and traveling. I know that I really am not interested in marrying or having children. I like my independence and freedom too much to be tied down by anything as permanent as a husband and children.

So anyways, getting back on the first two pages of Buddhism for Beginners, let me start by explaining the basic essence of Buddhism.

This is broken down into this simple saying:

Abandon negative action;
such as hurting others, destructive motivations (anger, attachment, closed mindedness) and to stop harming ourselves and others

Create perfect virtue;
by developing beneficial attitudes (controlling of our anger, loving others, being compassionate, joyful and acting constructively

Subdue your own mind.
by understanding reality and leaving behind false projections, we can become calm and peaceful.

This is the teaching of the Buddha

Looking at this, it might look simple, but there are still the Four Noble Truths, and Eightfold Path to get into. However, we'll save that for next time. For now, let me conclude by saying that unlike most people, I really do not desire fancy cars, a big house, and endless amounts of luxuries. All I want is happiness and contentment with my life. I feel that the more material things we crave, the more unhappiness we are surrounded by. Rather that focusing on what we do have and the simple things that make us happy, like a beautiful sunny day or a really good book, we always are looking for that next thing that will make us happy. The next best cell phone, or a bigger house, or a better car. I really want to take a simplistic approach to living. Let me be an example to you that happiness can be achieved through simplicity rather than luxuries and material wealth.

I conclude with this quote for your contemplation :

"Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated."
-Confucius

No comments:

Post a Comment