Tuesday 19 March 2013

The Eight-fold Path Continued...

The eight-fold path is the path that can lead us to enlightenment. Personally, I don't seek spiritual enlightenment or want to become a wise, all knowing sort of person. I just want to find a way of living that I can be happy and content with. I want a lifestyle where I don't crave things I don't have; rather I enjoy and feel grateful for the things I already do have and the experiences I am going through.

The three principles of the path are as follows:

We need to have a determination to be free from the confusions of our problems and their causes. Judging by me just typing away on this blog, and you dear reader, taking the time to read my thoughts, I think it is safe to say that we are both determined to find an effective way out of our problems!

Next, we need to have altruistic intention (bodhicitta), which is the intention to become a Buddha (an enlightened being) so that we can be capable of helping others who also have problems in an effective manner.

Lastly, we need the wisdom realizing reality where we develop the wisdom and understanding of the true nature of ourselves and other phenomena, eliminating all false projections in the process.

The basic goal of Buddhism is to lead us to discover a path of lasting happiness for ourselves and others by freeing ourselves from cyclic existence (the cycle if constantly recurring problems we currently experience).



He looks so beautifully peaceful and serene...



I will talk about cyclic existence and the ways to escape this way of being in my next post. For now, I want to leave you with my reflections on what I have learnt today from my readings of the book.

In determining to be free of my problems, I want to make it very clear that I am not trying to find an easy way out. All I am saying is that I want to leave the regular day-to-day negative emotions of competitiveness, selfishness, pride, jealousy, and resentment. I am tired of living my life always feeling as though we are in a fight or flight mode with everybody else. I hate the fact that when the bus pulls up to the stop, and I have lined up for it, people rudely just push their way in so that they can find a seat. Wait your turn people! There is often more than enough room for everybody.

I am tired of all the negative attitudes out there and the "every man for himself" attitude we have nowadays. When I open my Facebook, I am bombarded with people's posts that mainly consist of "selfies"-pictures of themselves taken in front of a mirror, usually while wearing something brand name or skimpy. I don't understand the point of that. I don't understand the point of many things people do today. This unfortunately, makes me an "outsider" in society. I want to know your thoughts. Do you feel like this about the world nowadays? Do you feel like an observer of a crazy world, rather than someone who is a part of it? That also brings me to this question: Is it better to be part of a crazy world and immersing yourself in the craziness, or is it better to be an observer, rather than a participant?


What life feels like when I go outside...people worried about who's dating who, the latest fashion trends, phones, material possessions in general...
Isn't there more to life? Aren't there more important, interesting things to talk about? 

No comments:

Post a Comment