Saturday 5 April 2014

Monthly Check In!

Since I last wrote, a lot has changed. To begin with, I left Toronto General after about a month. Just being in treatment again, when I was so fresh out of Credit Valley's program, was exhausting and I was burnt out! However, just because I stopped going to a hospital to eat my meals, doesn't mean that I've stopped eating altogether!

I have kept up with my meal plan. You may wonder what that is. Well, let me explain it to you, dear reader. I eat what a "normal" person eats, calorically speaking. To break it down even more, each meal consists of what the eating disorder dieticians call "choices". Essentially, choices are synonymous to calories. For example, an apple, would be 1 fruit choice.

These choices can be moved around based on how hungry/full you are during the day. I am very hungry in the evenings and early in the mornings so I consume the majority of my calories at that time.

So here's my meal plan:

Breakfast:

Consists of 5 choices- this can be a package of oatmeal with a cup of milk (depending on the oatmeal type, altogether it can either be 2 or 3 choices. For example, an oatmeal package with a caloric value of 150 or higher, would be 2 choices. When prepared with a cup of milk AKA 1 choice,  it would make 3 choices all together). Along with this, I usually add a boiled egg, a fruit, or a small 100g yoghurt. I usually do cottage cheese in the morning as it keeps me feeling full until lunch

Breakfast #1: Quaker High Protein Cereal with a cup of soy milk (3 choices in total)
                       Cottage Cheese (1) and
                       an Orange (1)

Breakfast #2: 1.5 cups of bran flakes with 1 cup of soy milk (3 choices)
                       Cottage cheese or yoghurt (1)
                       Fruit (1)

Breakfast #3: 1/2 Bagel w/ 1tbsp cream cheese  and a boiled egg (3)
                       Cottage cheese or yoghurt (1)
                       Fruit (1)

Breakfast #4: Toast w/ 1 tbsp peanut butter (2)
                       Cottage cheese and yoghurt (2)
                       Fruit (1)

Lunch:

In order to normalize our eating as much as possible, and fit in with what the general population eat, we did sandwiches for lunch. This is a quick and easy way to get in a meal during your day to day activity.

The sandwich includes:

3 choices of protein (e.g. 1 slice cheese and 2 slices of deli meat)
2 starch choices (2 slices bread, or a large pita)
An added fat (a tsp of margarine or a tbsp of dressing)

After the sandwich, we have a "high energy" dessert food that can either be a dense 3 choice item (a cup of ice cream, a slice of pie or cake) or a combination of a 2 choice and 1 choice item (1/2 a cup of ice cream, or 3 cookies, or a granola bar >150 calories for a 2 choice), and a piece of fruit or a 1/2 a cup of pudding or yoghurt for a 1 choice item.

Snack:

3pm Snack: Usually I do  a cappuccino with  a cup of milk (1 choice) along with fruit and a yoghurt, to make my snack a total of 3 choices.

I combine what would be my late night snack, with my dinner, to have another high energy at the end of the day, since this is when I am really hungry.

Dinner:

This usually consists of oven roasted chicken breast, veggies, pasta with sauce and ice cream for dessert. Sometimes I do a muffin, with greek yoghurt for dessert. I currently have around 4 different dinners that I do.

Dinner #1:

  • Oven Roasted Chicken breast (3 protein)
  • 1/2 cup brown rice pilaff with veggies (1 protein and 1 veggie choice along with an added fat to season the rice and veggies)
  • 1 cup of ice-cream (3 choices)
Dinner #2: 

  • Pasta w/ tomato sauce (1 starch and 1 vegetable with added fat)
  • Chicken or tofu (3 protein)
  • Small muffin (2 choices) and  yoghurt (1)

Dinner #3:


  • 1/2 cup lentil curry with tofu and veggies (3 protein, 1 veggie, 1 fat)
  • 1/2 cup brown rice (1 starch)
  • Brownie (3 choices) 

I hope this helps and gives you some meal ideas. I've been able to maintain my weight with minimal activity. You may be scared to give it a try, and all I can say is, trust me! I used to be scared, but now I realize that in the end, it all comes down to numbers and science. As long as calorie intake is equal to calorie output, you will not gain weight. I'm living proof of this. It really does work! Please feel free to share your thoughts and ask any questions you may have!


No comments:

Post a Comment