Tuesday 25 August 2015

BRIDGE

I was recommended by my psychiatrist to join  a group program called "BRIDGE" which stands for:

B - Building - What am I building?

R - Recovering - What am I recovering from?

I - Initiating - What do I need to start doing? 

D - Developing - What do I need to develop?

G - Growing - What is important for me to learn?

E - Empowering - Why is it important for me to be recovered?


I was initially very hesitant about this. My past experiences in group therapy, specifically catered to eating disorder recovery, had proven unsuccessful. I relapsed after my first time, and quit during the fourth week of my second time. However, BRIDGE was a completely new and totally beneficial program in terms of my recovery. It encourages and supports its clients to re-engage and rebuild their lives after a psychiatric hospitalization, or anyone in need of support.

I am very excited to share with my readers everything I've learnt, and also include daily activities and exercises that I find beneficial and helpful towards my recovery. The wonderful thing about this is that it can be catered to fit your needs, and is not specifically for someone with an eating disorder.

Before joining the group, I had to make a list of goals that I had for myself. If it helps, try to figure out your motivations for recovery using this acronym as a backbone. I can show you my example below:

B - Building: What am I building?

  • Routine- having a sense of purpose and somewhere to go/ be everyday
  • Social skills- developing new relationships and improving social interactions
  • Self-Confidence- learning to avoid negative self-talk skills. 


R - Recovering: What am I recovering from?

  • Anorexia
  • Depression
  • Anxiety
  • OCD


I - Initiating: What do I need to start doing?

  • Going to BRIDGE everyday (or if not in a group program, reading and doing a CBT activity or worksheet everyday)
  • Sticking to my meal plan
  • Being open to new ideas/opinions/relationships with others


D - Developing: What do I need to develop?

  • Assertiveness
  • Effective Communication
  • Distress Tolerance Skills


G - Growing:  What is important for me to learn?

  • To love myself because of my personality/relationships/achievements rather than because of my physical appearance
  • I am worth all the hard work and effort that it takes to recover from my eating disorder

E - Empowering: Why is it important for me to be recovered?
  • I want to start living my life to the fullest 

In previous posts, I have mentioned my health care team at Markham Stouffville Hospital. Today I want to recognize them and dedicate a post specifically to the amazing services they provide. I think that we are lucky enough to live in a country that has such a vast plethora of resources that we can use when it comes to both our physical and mental health. To not take advantage of this, would be a great loss for many people. Services such as those offered by the hospital, are available to everyone, and are generalized to service different needs and illnesses. 

If you are unable or hesitant to access resources, I encourage you to keep reading as I update my posts daily. I promise to convey everything I learn onto you so that you may reap from the benefits without having to go anywhere. I also would love to know if what I post is helpful or not, and if you are able to utilize these skills in a positive way to enhance your quality of life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment