Monday 26 May 2014

Working with Seniors...An afternoon of Sandwiches and Bingo!

It was an amazing success! Today was the Senior Social at the church. I left late in the morning (needed to get bloodworm and an ECG done!), and after had lunch at Tims (homestyle bun with deli meats) and then went over to the church. Once I got there, I helped out with handing out name tags, and then went into the church for the short mass.

The seniors were the simply amazing! Something that always blows my mind away when I see any senior person, is the fact that, yes,  there is a circle of life. To watch how similar seniors are to children, vulnerable, fragile and in need of special care and attention, simply fills me with awe. Since I love working with children so much, I should have known that I would really enjoy working with seniors also!

After mass, everyone was ushered into the main hall, where they were served coffee, tea and "finger sandwiches" (egg, salmon, and tuna salad on whole wheat bread...simple and yummy)! Then we cleared the tables, and brought out the dessert trays. There were a variety of different loaf cakes, mini dessert trays filled with lemon squares, small cinnamon buns, coffee cake, and tarts of various flavours.

Once the tables were cleared once again, we gave out bingo cards and they played bingo for the rest of the afternoon! While leaving, they had an opportunity to grab a book or two to read at home, wherever home is (retirement home, hospice, or private home).

Overall it was an amazing experience and I am so glad I did it!

No comments:

Post a Comment