Monday 6 October 2014

Sorry for not writing sooner!

With all the chaos of volunteering and the summer months, I am very sorry to have not written sooner. A quick update on my summer. We went to Washington D.C, where we went to the Lincoln Memorial, saw the White House, visited the Smithsonian and saw various other attractions. Washington truly is one of the cheapest vacation cities to go to as most of the attractions don't have an entry fee. The highlights of the trip was going to the Holocaust and the Aerospace (physics nerd that I am!) Museum.

Being at the Holocaust Museum and actually seeing the stories and pictures of actual people was a very sobering effect. It was a very sad place, and I think that its good that there are places like it all around the world, in order to ensure that we NEVER EVER forget the horrors of war. There is a beautiful room at the end of the museum filled with candles that you can light for the people who died during the holocaust. I saw many Jewish school children there, and it was very inspiring to see people of such a young age, take something so seriously and to be so respectful and sincere in a place like that.  They really got the whole picture of what really happened and could understand the pain and suffering faced by the people during that time.

Other than going to Washington, I spent my summer days home eating ice-cream, barbecuing and having fun! On July 1, we went to see the Canada Day fireworks at our local park. It was an amazing experience, one that I never get tired of, year after year! Canada is truly such an amazing country and I am so fortunate to live in such a beautiful place. I am so thankful for everything this country has done for me. Especially, the health care program. In any other country, I would have been either really sick, or my parents would have been really poor in order to ensure that all the costs for my health issues were covered. I find that we take fore granted many of the things that we feel we are entitled to, like free healthcare, without realizing that in other countries, its not normal to have these privileges. Hence, I repeat, I LOVE CANADA!


No comments:

Post a Comment